- Local History
- About Us
Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
Chromebooks are laptops that only use Google Chrome as their browser and operating system, and are fast, secure and simple to use. All of the Chromebook operations take place using the Chrome web browser and web applications either through a user's free Google account or in a "guest" mode – for those without Google accounts.
Chromebooks can create and share documents with Google Drive, play songs and movies with Google Play and video chat with Hangouts, all available at no charge. In addition, the Chrome Web Store offers thousands of free apps, themes and extensions.
- Patrons 11 years & older will be able to borrow a Chromebook for up to 2 hours to use within the library.
- The Chromebooks will be circulated on a first-come, first-served basis. Holds cannot be placed on the Chromebooks. One renewal is allowed.
- Chromebooks must be returned at the circulation desk where they were checked out.
- They must be returned 30 minutes before the library closes.
- A borrower agreement needs to be signed by first-time users. Repeat users need not sign another borrower's agreement. Circulation staff will note on the patron's
record that a borrower's agreement is on file.
- Borrowers need to have a valid PVLD library card in order to check out a Chromebook.
- The late fee is $5 per hour. After 24 hours, patrons will be charged the full replacement cost: $325.
- No overdue charges will be waived for any reason.
- If a Chromebook is damaged but repairable, the patron will be charged the cost of the repair plus a $75 processing fee.
- Use of the Chromebooks requires access to either a Wi-Fi Internet connection or a 3G cellular data connection. Patrons checking out Chromebooks may use PVLD's public Wi-Fi network. PVLD will not purchase 3G data access for use by patrons; however patrons are welcome to sign up and pay for 3G access on the Chromebooks themselves. If patrons purchase more 3G access than they can use on the Chromebook any 3G left on returned Chromebooks will automatically be donated to the next user. PVLD cannot refund 3G left unused.
- No peripheral equipment (mouse, power cord, etc.) will be issued for use with the Chromebooks while they are restricted to in-library use.
- Printing is available through the library's mobile printing service.