Maria's Lemon Drizzle Cake
Maria got this recipe from the Great British Bake Off show and says, "This drizzle cake is relatively easy to make and yet absolutely delicious! I don't like cakes that are too dry or bland, so I'm really partial to the lemon drizzle! It's perfect for the summer, and you can always play around with the recipe by using oranges or other fruit instead of lemons."
Ingredients for cake:
1.25 cups caster sugar (can substitute with powdered sugar)
1.25 cups self-raising flour
1.25 cups butter, softened (can substitute with coconut oil)
zest of 1-1.5 lemons
1 tsp. baking powder
Ingredients for Drizzle:
1/2 cup sugar (can use caster sugar or granulated)
Juice of 1.5 lemons
1) Preheat oven to 365 degrees Fahrenheit
2) Beat together sugar and butter until pale and creamy
3) Add eggs to mixture one at a time, slowly mixing through
4) Sift in flour to mixture
5) Add lemon zest and baking powder and mix until well-combined
6) Pour mixture into lightly greased tin or pan
7) Bake 40-50 minutes, or until the cake is coming off the sides of the tin. The cake should be golden brown and springy to the touch. Test by inserted a thin skewer into the cake; it should come out clean
8) When cake is fully baked, remove from oven and allow to cool while still in the tin
9) Mix together sugar and lemon juice for the drizzle
10) Using a thin skewer, poke holes in the cake so the drizzle can seep into the cake
11) Pour drizzle mixture into the cake. Allow to fully cool. The sugar should form a crisp topping while the drizzle inside keeps the cake moist and sweet.
Note: don't open the oven door while baking to prevent the cake from sinking.